Culinary Uses of Pistachios
Pistachios have a rich, earthy taste, and while they aren’t quite as versatile as other nuts, they can be eaten a number of ways:
- As a snack. Eating pistachios plain is arguably the most common way they are enjoyed, either raw or roasted. Both in-shell and shelled pistachios are available in grocery stores.
- Over salads. Shelled pistachios (either whole or chopped) are often sprinkled over lettuce or arugula salads. Pistachios can also be puréed and mixed with oil and herbs to make a creamy salad dressing.
- Ground into sauces. Ground pistachios are popular as a base for sauces and dips, like pistachio-yogurt sauce.
- Added to bread dough. Ground pistachios can be added to bread dough to give it a thicker texture with extra protein.
- In desserts. Chopped pistachios are commonly mixed into or sprinkled atop desserts like ice cream, cake, truffles, and pastries. Pistachio flavoring is also a common dessert ingredient it is most well-known as the flavoring for pistachio ice cream and gelato, but it is very versatile and can be mixed into almost any dessert.